Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Peppermint Patch is In!

For as long as I've been married I've wanted a peppermint patch! My mother had one when I was growing up and it always smelled so good! She would dry the peppermint to make tea and I love peppermint tea! I've even bought peppermint plants a time or two, but I could never decide where the "perfect spot" for my peppermint patch would be so I never actually planted any of it. The plants just withered up and died in the pot (usually from lack of water because I didn't get around to watering them either!) Is anyone surprised that a plant (ok, multiple plants!) left in my care would die of dehydration?


We have a friend who is moving and she has a small patch of peppermint. She can't take it with her, so we went over and dug it up. Here's what she gave us:



101-0114_IMG

Yesterday we all pitched in to get it planted! First, Papa tilled up a patch of soil on each side of the gate at the end of the driveway. Then he and his little helper spread compost out...


101-0116_IMG
That's what I call "A LITTLE MANual labor!"


Then Papa dug trenches in the compost and we just laid the plants in them and covered them up. Papa said that the leaves don't need to be sticking out of the ground. Peppermint takes over the way a weed does and as long as we get the roots in the ground, the plants will do just fine.  But I let some leaves stick up out of the ground anyway.  I didn't want to do all that work and then not be able to see any peppermint!



101-0124_IMG


Here's a picture of our new peppermint patch! There's not much to see right now, but look at the potential! By this time next year I hope the peppermint will have filled that space out and be green and luscious and beautiful! It's already starting to smell good!  We are planning to plant some rose vines on that fence and I think it will be very pretty together!

101-0126_IMG

0 comments:

Post a Comment