Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year! Looking forward to 2011!

Happy New Year!  I'm excited for 2011 to be here, although I have to say that I'm pretty glad to see 2010 in the rear view mirror (at long last!).  I feel relieved, like somehow I have survived.  Frankly, 2010 has felt very much like running a marathon.  I've never actually run a marathon, but if I did, it would feel like this year has felt.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm thankful for the events of this year.  I'm thankful for the layoff.  I'm thankful for the time we've gotten to spend with Papa the Farmer at home!  I feel really positive about the changes that 2010 brought.  

It's just that change is hard.  2010 took me out of my comfort zone.  Way out of my comfort zone. I'm the kind of girl who really just likes everything to stay the same.  Is that too much to ask?

But here we are!  And like everyone else, I have some goals for 2011.  Some personal goals and some farm goals.  I don't make New Year's Resolutions.  Because I know that I'm going to miss days and then I'll feel like a failure for not keeping my New Year's Resolution.  So I make goals instead.

One of the wonderful things that has happened to me this past year is that I met a lady named Pam.  Pam has 6 children.  They are quiet and obedient.  When you visit her house, even if she wasn't expecting you,  everything is in its place, the house smells wonderful, there is peaceful music playing in the background and there's not a piece of dirty laundry anywhere.  I mean it.  I actually inspected her laundry room one time.  (How rude is that?!)  No dirty laundry.  (She has a laundry system - I'll post about that another time!).   She bakes her own bread, she homeschools the children and did I mention that she has no dirty laundry in her house?

6 children and no dirty laundry!  I call her "Perfect Pam."  Ok, she's not really perfect, but anyone who has 6 children and no dirty laundry has earned that title!

So, when Pam told me there was a housekeeping book that she was learning so much from, I figured I'd better pay attention.  She didn't really describe it to me.  She just kept saying, "Wow.  WOW." 

I figure, if she's gleaning a few hints from a housekeeping book, I'd better buy the book.  No questions asked.  Maybe if I read whatever she's reading I can have 3 children and no dirty laundry.  So I bought it.


Wow.  WOW.  The author Kim Brenneman has 9 children.  Having this book is like having a Titus 2 woman sitting right in my very own living room!  The book is so full of practical, godly advice to mothers!  From coping strategies to organizational tips, household management to a Proverbs 31 Bible Study, "Large Family Logistics" covers it all...  My only complaint is the title.  Yes, the book is wonderful for large families, but families of any size could benefit from the strategies in this book.

So my goals for this year more or less revolve around this book.  There are 48 chapters.  Each week I plan to read one chapter and implement what I learn.  Slow progress?  Yes.  But at least it's progress! 


Papa the Farmer and I sat down and made some other goals.  Here are a few:
-We plan to read the Bible and 8 other spiritual books together this year.  (Yes, that sounds like a lot, but it's only going to take an hour a day.  And spending that time together will be good for our marriage!)

-We plan to implement this scripture memory system in our family.  The children will use the ABC Bible verses from their preschool program by www.sonbeams.com (Mrs. Candace's lessons do a great job teaching the children their alphabet, numbers and colors in a scriptural context) and Papa the Farmer and I will be using various verses from the Memorization clubs at www.Fast.st

-Of course, everybody has fitness goals.  The problem is that I can't exactly drive to the gym to go work out... But I have figured out that walking around the perimeter of our property 3 1/2 times is equal to 1 mile!  It works great!  I get the children busy doing something and walk around the property once.  (It only takes a few minutes and if they're outside I can see them the whole time!)  When I come back up to the house, I check on them and then walk around the perimeter again and again until I meet my goal!  Sometimes a little creativity goes a long way towards getting things done!


(Edit:  For those who have asked, you can purchase "Large Family Logistics at Vision ForumGrace & Truth Books or ChristianBook.com)

0 comments:

Post a Comment