The Little Farmgirl was playing outside a few days ago and she got stung by a wasp. It was hiding inside the tire swing and she put her hand on top of it and the rest is history…
We had some friends over, so she didn’t come inside right away. By the time she showed me about half an hour later, her hand was very swollen. I mixed some baking soda and water and put that on her hand. Baking soda will neutralize the venom in people who are not allergic to bee stings. (In other words, if you’re allergic to bee stings, don’t think baking soda can replace your Epi Pen… But for the rest of, baking soda works great in a pinch!)
You’re supposed to put the baking soda and water paste on the sting as soon as it happens. In this case, she didn’t tell me about it in time and the baking soda wasn’t all that helpful.
But then I got a crazy email forwarded to me the next morning. I wasn’t sure if it was true or not, but it suggested putting a penny on the bee sting. Apparently the copper in the penny draws out the venom.
So we tried it!
And it worked! Who would have guessed?