Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Babette’s Blanket

I was about 13 years old when my grandmother died.  Somehow, after she died, one of her crochet hooks and a book about how to crochet ended up at our house.  That year during March break I was particularly bored so I picked up the book and decided to give it a try.  Let’s just say… I was hooked!  (Pun intended!)  =)  I love to crochet!  Unfortunately, so many crochet projects are just so… 1970’s.  I mean, is there anything that sums up the 1970’s more succinctly than an avocado green, orange and white granny square? 

Enter Babette’s Blanket.  This is a great pattern!  (It’s sold on the  Interweave website if you’d like to buy the pattern.)  The granny squares are solid, which gives the whole afghan a modern twist.  But what makes this blanket so much fun to make is that each square is different!  There are no two squares exactly alike, so each square is like starting something new!  I love it!

I started the Babette Blanket a couple of years ago but I was interupted by a pregnancy that left me… um… let’s just say “unavailable” for crocheting for several months!  So last night I pulled Babette out again!  I’m making her out of left over “Caron Simply Soft” yarn in various shades of purple, turquoise, rose, blue, grey and white.  Ok, ok, she might look a bit strange right now…  But just wait until I am finished!  She is going to be beautiful!  =)

Here is a picture of Babette now:

104-0461_IMG_2
If you’re familiar with the pattern,  these are sections 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. 

If you’re looking at that picture thinking, “What is she thinking?”  I would like to point out that the pattern calls for 17 different colors.  Since I am trying to be frugal and use up what I already have, I am only using 8 colors!

And if you’ve read all the way down to the bottom of this post, I applaud your diligence!  You must be curious enough about Babette to want to view other people’s versions in various color combinations.  Take a look at the Flickr gallery.  Some of those ladies do amazing work!

2 comments:

  1. i think it's great! love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I like the colors too. I'm excited to get "back at it" and have a nice big blanket!

    ReplyDelete