Sunday, November 21, 2010

Garage Sale!

You may have noticed that my blogging has been… well… sporadic lately.  That’s because for the past few weeks I’ve been gearing up for and then having a garage sale!  The night before the garage sale I told Papa the Farmer “NEVER AGAIN!” It’s been a lot of work, but it’s been fun.  So now I think I probably will do it again. 

Getting ready was a whole-family affair.  Buying pre-made Garage Sale signs would have been expensive (we needed several) so the little farmhands made our signs all by themselves!  Well, ok.  Not ALL by themselves.  Papa the farmer drew the letters and they colored the letters in with marker.  Bad idea!  The little farmhands are only allowed to use washable markers, so after it rained in the middle of our sale (Murphy’s Law!) we decided to paint the letters on.  Still, I think the signs turned out pretty good:

104-0474_IMG

(Sorry that the sign is crumpled.  I had to pull this one out of the trash after the sale in order to take a picture!)
Anyway, after all the work was done, the garage sale turned out to be lots of fun!  For 3 out of the 4 years we’ve lived here I’ve been a stay at home mom with no car, so I haven’t really met anybody.  I got to meet so many fun country people!  A lot of the “old timers” from town came and left and came back and left and generally spent a lot of time heckling each other!  Hanging out at our garage sale was a little bit like hanging out at an old-time barber shop!  I was surprised, some of our “customers” came three times in the same day, others stayed for up to 2 hours!  I enjoyed that part of it the most!

The previous owners of this house left a lot of unidentifiable things in the workshops and so we sold some of that in addition to usual garage sale stuff.  Papa the Farmer put all that “man cave” stuff out on a table and I put other items up on the porch.  (I was so thankful for our big porch!  When it rained for 2 days in the middle of sale, all the stuff stayed dry!)

104-0462_IMG_2
There were two things about having a country garage sale that really surprised me. 

#1 – I had a whole bookshelf full of books for sale.  A lot of people took one look and said, “I never read.”  IS THAT POSSIBLE?  Obviously it is, or they wouldn’t have said it, but as a homeschooling  mom I can’t get my head around that.  I could understand if someone said, “I don’t want to read those particular books” but “I never read”???  Come on!  As my neighbor put it:  isn’t there anything in the world you are curious about?

#2 – One man who stopped by our sale a couple of times was a Black man who lives nearby.  Now, I had heard a rumor that a long time ago, our little town used to be the local headquarters for the Ku Klux Klan.  But he told me that THEY STILL MEET!  That shocked me.  I have no idea if it’s true.  I’m just telling you what he said.

Anyway, it was a good, interesting, fun and profitable experience.  If you’re thinking about hosting your own garage sale, I say “Go for it!”  I’m already looking forward to doing it again next year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment