Sunday, November 21, 2010

Pears, Pears, Pears!

Well, I think I’ve come to the last of the canning for this year.  My friend Carol (from the farm "Moss Gathers" in Celina, Texas) and I struck a deal.  She has a couple of big pear trees.  She picked the pears, gave them to me and I canned them and then give her half the pears back.  We did this a couple of times throughout the summer.  Last week I think I canned the last for this year.  I just peeled them, diced them and then put them in jars with white grape juice.  Mmmm, yummy!
104-0483_IMG
It was a lot of work (and there’s a possibility that she got the better end of this deal!) but I am so looking forward to trying these this winter!104-0490_IMG
Oh, and then, because I am cheap and I don’t like anything to go to waste, I did one last jar of blended pear peels.  Honestly, they don’t taste that great, but maybe I can use them in a recipe instead of apple sauce.
104-0491_IMG
During our garage sale last week we met one of our neighbors who we had never met before.  (That’s because for most of the time we have lived here I have been home alone, pregnant or with a newborn plus other young children and no car.  So I haven’t gone out much and I haven’t met many people!)  Anyway, this neighbor saw that we had children and asked if we would like some pears from their pear tree.  They have so many pears they don’t know what to do with them all! 
104-0473_IMGTalk about melting in your mouth!  I don’t know what’s so special about these pears, but they are delicious!  I’m allergic to apples and so over the years I’ve eaten a lot of pears… These are hands-down the tastiest pears I’ve ever tried!  We really enjoyed them!  Thank you, neighbor!  We plan to invite him to participate in our fruit  CSA next spring!
(CSA is short for Community Supported Agriculture.  Members of The Good Old Days Farm will receive a weekly box of home grown fruit or vegetables throughout the season)

0 comments:

Post a Comment